By Fernando Franco, DGE
DGE is the General Directorate of Education of the Ministry of Science and Education of Portugal, which is responsible for setting educational policies for education, particularly with the spread of new methodologies and pedagogies associated with new technologies. One of its teams, ERTE, has the direct responsibility for the introduction of new technologies into the curriculum. One of the DGE/ERTE objectives in this area, is to create a network at national level, and implement a community to share examples of good practice.
There are several Future Classroom Labs in Portugal. Here we present a short description of four of them:
1. FCL of the Institute of Education of the University of Lisbon
The main goals of this FCL are initial and in-service teacher training.
2. FCL of the D. Manuel Martins School, Setúbal:
This space hosts national meetings, in-service teacher training activities and classes. It is a place for teacher reflection on the impact of new methodologies and new technological resources on teaching and learning.
3. FCL of the in-service Teacher Training Center, School Rafael Bordallo Pinheiro, Caldas da Rainha:
Training room dedicated to in-service Teacher Training activities using the models of FCL and aiming at the development of Scientific and Digital Literacies. It is also used by teachers to guide students in using Web 2.0 tools
4. Atouguia da Baleia Learning Lab, Basic School 2,3 of Atouguia da Baleia:
This FCL aims at:
- Improving the educational achievement of students;
- Increase the quality of service delivered by the educational community;
- Strengthen the structural and operating conditions to fulfill the educational project of the school Cluster: "Identity and Develop";
- Overcome learning problems and promote the interest on research and discovery;
- Develop research and research capacity, as the foundation for intellectual growth of students;
- Decrease the usual resistance towards the subject of mathematics, discovering the fascination of it, deepening and acquiring knowledge;
- Ensure the best conditions of study and work, achievement and personal development;
- Promote the development of 21st century digital skills