FCL Winter Academy: Developing key competences through project-based learning
- 25 Feb – 1 Mar 2019. Book your places now!
- Feb/Mar 2020, dates to be confirmed
Life is increasingly non-routine, problem-based and technology rich. The education systems are moving away from solely content-led approaches and focusing more on helping learners develop a range of competences. Some skills, such as numeracy and literacy, are just as important today as they were in the past. However, other more transversal and higher order skills, such as collaborative problem-solving are increasingly valuable for people in all areas of life.
Project-based learning (PBL) can be a powerful method to deliver competence-based education. PBL goes beyond ‘doing projects': while ‘doing projects' is about producing a product that reflects or represents a student's talent and thinking, PBL is the process of designing something (e.g. a plan, product, or procedure) that will address or resolve a problem or situation. PBL can be used to develop deep content knowledge and key competences within students.
In this course, the participants will learn how to embed competence-based approaches in everyday teaching practice, what are the components of good PBL, and which tools and strategies can help teachers in this endeavour. The participants will also discover the importance of student-driven activities, entrepreneurial mind-set, and other skills needed for better PBL such as social and emotional learning.
- Discover and reflect on transversal competences in education
- Understand what Project-Based Learning is
- Learn how to implement PBL in classroom
- Review components of effective PBL
- Get familiar with different collaboration activities and tools
- Understand the importance of entrepreneurial mind-set for student-driven activities
- Understand how assessment can be embedded into PBL
- Learn about importance and components of social and emotional learning
- Create PBL through learning design
- Learn how to use different ICT tools to implement and support PBL
- Discover Future Classroom ideas and its different learning zones
- The course is listed in the School Education Gateway course catalogue
- This is a 5-day course, from Monday to Friday. It is also possible to take part in a shorter, 3-day version from Monday to Wednesday.
- This is a full day course meaning the daily instruction time is about 6,5 hours.
- The lunches are organised at the training venue and included in the course price. Also coffee breaks are provided and included. One dinner is organised for the participants as well.
- The participants are welcome to join social & cultural activities organised in the evenings.
- The participants should have at least basic knowledge on ICT and be able to communicate in English.
- Contact us for further information: email@example.com