As lifelong learners, Steelcase Education aims to make a difference in education. For students, educators and designers, we work to create the most effective, rewarding and inspiring learning spaces. As a dedicated group within Steelcase exclusively focused on education, we bring evidence-based design, technology and furniture solutions to education environments, wherever learning happens.
Design for the future classrooms
Today's students desire an active learning environment—expecting more from their classrooms than ever before. They want their surroundings to support co-learning, co-creation and open discussion. Educators are often faced with a tough choice: promote active learning or organize a classroom to fit as many students as possible. The existing classroom footprint is only so big, and there's not much flexibility. Until now.
The Node™ chair is mobile and flexible. It's designed for quick, easy transitions between room configurations. With Node, a classroom can flex from a lecture-based mode to a team-based mode, and back again, without interruption. Node can take passive space and make it active, supporting individual and team-based learning, even when classroom capacity is important.
- Get Active- Reimagining Learning Spaces for Students Success - designed to guide thinking about how schools and classroom can be designed to reflect how students learn and how people work and live in the digital age. Whether you are a classroom teacher, an administrator, a school board member, or an interested parent or community member, you will find information and resources to help you design more responsive, flexible learning spaces that meet the needs of students and teachers.
- 360 Magazine Education Edition - a compilation of 360 stories that explore design principles, product ideas and applications with the goal of improving student success. The stories demonstrate how new active learning environments improve student engagement and outcomes and help prepare them for success in the creative economy.
- Active Learning Spaces Insights and Applications Guide (PDF) - The guide provides the latest thinking on spaces all around campus, including research, design guidelines and applications. Also included are our product offerings for learning spaces in seating, tables, visual work tools, technology and faculty stations.
- White Paper: How Classroom Design Affects Student Engagement (PDF) - Improving educational outcomes is a nearly universal goal, but how to achieve it remains a focus of continuing research and debate.New data from ongoing Steelcase Education studies shows that classrooms designed for active learning have a significant effect on student engagement.
- White Paper: Technology-Empowered Learning (PDF) - Steelcase Education researchers conducted a design research study at 16 schools, colleges and universities throughout the United States to better understand the dynamics and spatial implications of technology-empowered learning. Six spatial insights emerged for blended learning environments that achieve maximum results for students and instructors.
- Intel K12 Blueprint - A planning resource for personalizing learning.